Sound Extreme FAQs:
Can I power a 12V accessory (light bar, etc.) using the Auxiliary Power Out connector on the SoundExtreme?
Yes, you can run a light bar or other accessory through the auxiliary wires coming out of the SoundExtreme. The light needs to accept 12V power and should draw less than ~10A current.
You must turn on the accessory powered through the SoundExtreme separately from powering on the SoundExtreme, but it is easy to do.
Here are the two ways to turn on the power to the accessory connected to the SoundExtreme auxiliary wires:
1. On the SoundExtreme button pad, press and hold the Light Bar button for 3 seconds to enable / disable Accessory Mode (which turns on / off the Auxiliary Power Out connection).
2. On the remote control, press the “Acc” remote switch button to turn on / off the Auxiliary Power Out connection
After using one of the above methods to turn on / off the auxiliary power, the speaker will announce, “Accessory mode enabled” or “Accessory mode disabled.”
How many Lumens is the light bar on the back of the SoundExtreme?
What is Peak and RMS output of the SoundExtreme?
500W Peak and 50W RMS
How much current does the SoundExtreme draw?
3-5 Amps at max volume depending on the type of music being played (running at 12V). If the LED light bar on the SoundExtreme is also on, the SoundExtreme may draw up to 8 Amps.
What is the suggested size of battery for use in powering the SoundExtreme?
Battery must be 12V. Battery capacity can be chosen based on desired playtime of the SoundExtreme per battery charge. We suggest using an 8Ah battery or larger to ensure you can get multiple hours of playtime from one battery charge.
Can the SoundExtreme be connected to the RZR Ride Command system?
The SoundExtreme was not designed specifically to be used with the RZR Ride Command system, and there are two main limitations with integrating it into this system:
1. The SoundExtreme must be powered on using the power button on the unit or on the remote provided with the SoundExtreme. Therefore, you cannot have the SoundExtreme automatically come on when you turn on the vehicle or the Ride Command system.
2. The SoundExtreme can accept audio input signal via Bluetooth or via the AUX-IN 3.5mm input jack.
a. If you connect your phone to Ride Command via Bluetooth, then you cannot feed audio signal via Bluetooth to the SoundExtreme (because you are connected to the Ride Command System)
b. But….I think that Ride Command has the ability to feed audio signal out via an “Audio Adapter”, and I think you can use the audio signal output from this Audio Adapter to feed into the SoundExtreme AUX-IN (we have not tested this yet to confirm it works). If this set-up works…then you can control the audio output from the SoundExtreme using the Ride Command System (but you will still have to control the SoundExtreme power on/off separately).
(FYI – we understand your desire to integrate SoundExtreme into the Ride Command system, and we are working on new features or accessories that will allow the SoundExtreme to be more integrated into systems like Ride Command).
I am having intermittent issues with the SoundExtreme not connecting correctly to my smartphone via Bluetooth.
The Bluetooth module and microcontroller within the SoundExtreme sound bar has a “boot-up” and “power-down” sequence that the unit goes through when turned on and off respectively. This process takes several seconds (~3-5 seconds) to complete. If the SoundExtreme is on and 12V supply power is cut off from the speaker and then quickly power is returned to the speaker, it may cause the SoundExtreme to get stuck in the “boot-up” mode when you turn the SoundExtreme back on again. The best way to reset the SoundExtreme unit to normal function is to unplug the SoundExtreme from the 12V power supply (i.e. battery) for ~10 seconds and then plug it back in. After this, the SoundExtreme should work properly when turned on again.
Installation Note: If the SoundExtreme is connected to the accessory junction box (busbar) and the power wire of the SoundExtreme is connected to the 12V ACC power post (this receives power only when the key is ON) on the busbar, then you may find that the above discussed “boot-up” issue may occur with your SoundExtreme (because turning the ignition key cuts off and restores power to the ACC power post).
We suggest that you do not hook the SoundExtreme power to ACC power, but to direct 12V battery power. If you are concerned with battery drain issues from having accessories directly attached to the battery, you can add a “kill switch” in-line between the SoundExtreme and the battery so that you can cut power to the SoundExtreme when the vehicle is not in use. Here is an example of this type of switch from Amazon (search ‘20A ON/OFF Rocker Toggle Switch’): https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Rocker-Switch-Toggle-Automotive/dp/B08L6BZYLL/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=20A+ON%2FOFF+Rocker+Toggle+Switch&qid=1610135235&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUzBQUjA5SFhRTlo0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjM3OTcxMVU4U05PTzg0RDA4VCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzU4NDE4MVhIU01JR0NFT05MWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
I need a longer cable for wiring my SoundExtreme to my vehicle, what do I use?
The SoundExtreme cable length is 8’ and uses an “SAE 2-pin” connector. These are readily available online and on Amazon. Please search for “SAE 2-pin cable” There are multiple lengths available to suit your custom requirements.
How can I make the cable connections look cleaner / neater?
You can purchase a product online and on Amazon called Split loom. There are many lengths, types, colors and sized online. Search for ‘cable split loom’ to find multiple options.
(example on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Alex-Tech-10ft-Protector-Sleeving/dp/B07FW3GTXB/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=cable+loom&qid=1610128262&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1 )
Can the SoundExtreme be set up to automatically power on when my vehicle is turned on?
No, the SoundExtreme will enter “sleep mode” when it is connected to 12V input power, so you must turn the speaker fully ON by either pressing the POWER button on the SoundExtreme or on the remote provided with the SoundExtreme.
How do I mount my SoundExtreme on my vehicle?
SoundExtreme includes various mounting brackets and accessories. Utilizing the mounts allows users to mount to vehicle in various ways:
• Use mounting brackets and provided screws to mount to vehicle cross bar by drilling holes in cross bar (or other mounting surface…ie vehicle roof, etc.) and using provided screws to bolt mounting brackets onto cross bar
• Drill hole through cross bar and use provided screws to secure SoundExtreme to cross bar by screwing directly into top mount rail threaded holes on SoundExtreme
• Use mounting brackets and provided worm clamps to secure the SoundExtreme onto a cross bar (without needing to drill holes in cross bar)
• Purchase other after-market accessory mounts that are compatible with the SoundExtreme brackets to mount as you see fit. You can find many compatible mount tube/pipe mount options online and Amazon by searching ‘Universal cage tube clamp mount’.
How do I connect two SoundExtreme units to play audio together?
Two or more SoundExtreme units can be synced to play audio together in two ways:
1. Wired: Connect 3.5mm audio cable from first SoundExtreme AUX OUT to AUX IN on second SoundExtreme unit. (both units must be powered on individually)
2. Wireless: Use EcoCast feature on SoundExtreme to wirelessly pair two or more SoundExtreme units - see user guide for full instructions. (both units must be powered on individually)
When I connect the SoundExtreme to power, the fuse in the SoundExtreme wire harness keep blowing and the unit is not working correctly, what is wrong?
• Best practices to prevent damaging the SoundExtreme, customers should use a voltmeter to check the voltage of the power input battery/wires that they will connect to the SoundExtreme. The voltage should be between 11-14V. If the voltage is not in this range or is reverse polarity, do NOT connect to the SoundExtreme.
• We do 100% testing with every SoundExtreme at our factory to ensure that the units function properly prior to shipping them. They will power on correctly when connected with the proper polarity to 12V.
• A SoundExtreme unit which is incorrectly wired up to power, could damage the SoundExtreme unit and cause the unit to no longer work.
• Typical wiring mistakes that will damage the SoundExtreme:
o Reverse polarity: Switching the red and black connections (RED to ground, and BLACK to +12V)
o Over Voltage: incorrectly connecting to 24V, 36V or 48V (all common voltages on electric vehicles and some gas vehicles)
o Short: Contacting the RED and BLACK wire together after being connected to input power (any voltage)
• The fuse in the wire harness is designed as a safety device to ensure that high electrical current does not continue to flow to the speaker’s circuitry which could produce overheating. It does NOT fully prevent damage to the SoundExtreme if connected incorrectly to power input.
• In the above situations, replacing the fuse will not fix the SoundExtreme if it was already exposed to improper input power. The fuse will keep blowing if damage has already been done to the SoundExtreme
Article is closed for comments.